Avanti is a leading satellite operator that connects people wherever they are – in their homes, businesses, in government and on mobiles. Through the HYLAS satellite fleet and more than 160 partners in 118 countries, the network provides ubiquitous internet service to 27% of the world’s population. Avanti was awarded The Queen’s Award for Enterprise in International Trade, recognising outstanding achievement in delivering growth in exports.
Avanti’s technology is highly disruptive. It is based on a series of patented inventions and radical new concepts. It has fundamentally changed the quality and cost of delivering high speed data connections by satellite in EMEA, especially in Sub-Saharan Africa where 80% of its capacity is focused. This has resulted in large scale new deployments of broadband to rural communities, schools and businesses, as well as very high tech infrastructure for governments, broadcasters and mobile carriers.
Ingenuity and Excellence
David Williams, Chief Executive at Avanti Communications commented: “This award is a great honour for Avanti, its partners and its people. It recognises Avanti as a British pioneer in international telecommunications. Our innovations are bringing fast, affordable internet connectivity to high growth markets across Europe, the Middle East and Africa, and in so doing are positively changing the lives of many thousands of people.”
Avanti employs 200 people, 73 of whom are multi-lingual from 32 different countries speaking a total of 27 languages. Avanti’s people deliver breakthroughs in performance that change the game. Never just satisfied with new ideas, they solve challenges that few other satellite operators can overcome, creating true customer value.
Williams adds: “We have succeeded thus far by combining our ingenuity with tenacity and excellence in order to develop our satellites, patents and powerful ecosystem. It’s made us a British success story famous for making connectivity a reality rather than an aspiration.”
Avanti delivers pioneering applications of satellite technology on a daily basis to nations around the world. Key successes include:
• A world first in 3G backhaul over Ka-band to Mobile Network Operators (MNOs) in Europe including Vodafone;
• Significant programmes for a number of national incumbent telco operators in Africa, including Orange Kenya and TelOne in Zimbabwe, whose vast customer base includes public sector organisations, enterprises, SMEs and consumers beyond the reach of terrestrial infrastructure;
• Partner to some of Africa’s largest alternative service providers, including Wananchi, the largest media provider in East Africa and Internet Solutions, the largest pan African ISP;
• Satellite News Gathering (SNG) contracts with the world’s largest broadcasters, delivering global coverage of the entire Oscar Pistorius court trial in South Africa and breaking news in the Middle East;
• High impact digital education platforms, underpinned by satellite connectivity, to create positive and long-lasting ripple effects into thousands of communities across the African continent.
Innovative, reliable and highly competent from a technical perspective
According to independent brand research recently conducted by Millward Brown, Avanti is ‘innovative, reliable and highly competent from a technical perspective’. The operator’s perceived differentiators are the quality of its technology and its flexibility, as opposed to a one-size fits all approach of the competition. Additionally, Avanti was voted a ‘Business Superbrand’ this year. Such perceptions and accolades ensure the company is well placed to capitalise on the growing demand for satellite connectivity across EMEA.